Tuesday 19 October 2010

3D Max

Today we were learning the basics of 3D Max. First, we started with making cubes, then we added segments so we could use the extrude tool to pull parts out. Then we right-clicked the objects we'd made, selected the polygon tab and then used the turbo-smooth option to smooth the shapes out. We were also shown the select and rotate, select and move, and select and uniform scale buttons. The uniform scale button is used to increase or decrease the size of the whole object.

Next, I had to add 3D letters using the shapes tool, then I chose text from the task box and typed in the word I wanted to the dialogue box. I then stretched them on the y axis to the height I wanted, and changed their colour., and saved to desktop. I them opened the text using photoshop and places it in a layer above an image I had chosen.

Here are pictures of my first trials with 3D Max.

Finally, we experimented with adding texture and lighting effects. This was done by clicking rendering, then material editor. I first found the texture I wanted to use, saved it to desktop and opened it in 3D Max. There was a selection of spheres. I clicked one to choose it and then clicked the small square next to the diffuse button, then I could click and drag the texture from the sphere onto the object. If the texture didn't appear on the object I clicked the box with a chequer board pattern, called show standard map.

For the lighting effects I clicked the lights button, then target spot. I had to drag the lighting cone out from the point of origin and expand and position it until my text was lit the way I wanted it to be. Here is the final result of the text in photoshop -

No comments:

Post a Comment